Mental illness is worrying doctors throughout the world nowadays. The cases of teen depression are ever increasing and even young ones are losing their lives to suicide. However, some mental illnesses required prolonged treatment regularly even on days when they are feeling alright.
Bipolar disorders are one such in the mental illness category that needs medicinal as well as other treatments. People suffering from bipolar disorders experience symptoms in 2 phases, mania and depression. This includes days when feeling of high energy interferes with sleep. Suicidal thoughts are common in people who suffer from bipolar disorders.
It is important to take bipolar disorder medications for mood stabilization and expert doctors at A Mission for Michael located in Virginia and Southern California provide the right environment and treatment plan to fit the individual needs of their patients suffering from bipolar disorder.
Common drugs used in the treatment of the bipolar disorder
- It is used to stabilize mood, especially during the manic phase.
- You need to keep a regular check on your thyroid, kidney, and digestive health and also on your weight fluctuations.
- Zyprexa and Seroquel are some antipsychotics that are used during the treatment of the bipolar condition.
- Side effects like drowsiness, weight gain, loss of libido, and loss of attention are commonly observed with regular intake of these drugs.
- Drugs like Depakote are used for mood stabilization as well.
- However, these drugs have a high risk of side effects and must be taken only under strict medical supervision.
- You must inform your doctor if you are developing suicidal ideation after starting these medicines.
- SSRIs or MAOIs and even tricyclic antidepressants are used to treat the depressive phase of the disorder.
- However, their dose needs to be carefully monitored as they can trigger episodes of mania.
- Your doctor will often combine the antidepressant drug with an antipsychotic to reduce the risk of developing manic episodes.
- These drugs like Xanax and Klonopin can relieve anxiety related to the disorder.
- Dependence can be associated with this drug and hence, must be used with caution.
- It is a combination medicine combining olanzapine (antipsychotic) and fluoxetine (SSRIs).
- This combines the treatment for both manic and depressive episodes.
- However, the drug can be a little expensive whereas individual drugs separately taken can produce the same effect at a much lesser cost.
In addition to taking medicines, regulation ofsleep cycle, meditation, use exercise for channeling your energy and also take therapy sessions to effectively control bipolar symptoms.
Although finding the right combination of medicines and the correct doses can be a bit tricky, you must see your specialist regularly so that dose adjustments can be made according to symptomatic improvements observed in your bipolar condition.
You must not get disheartened if you have gotten a diagnosis of bipolar as the right combination of therapy, care, and medication can keep your symptoms in check at all times allowing you to lead a good quality of life.